The TN-ASBDA “Young Directors’ Symposium” is a special mentoring project of the TN ASBDA chapter, designed to offer clinic sessions and professional development geared to the younger members of our profession. Experienced members of the TN ASBDA chapter will present clinic sessions on topics that are particularly relevant to newer teachers. The ASBDA Young Directors’ Symposium is open to all band directors, regardless of how long they have taught, as well as to recent college graduates.
The 2018 ASBDA Young Directors’ Symposium will be Thursday, May 31, 12:00 – 5:00 p.m., at Freedom Middle School in Franklin, TN.
(This RSVP form includes the TN Bandmasters activities on June 1 and 2 as well. Details HERE.)
Schedule of Events:
9:45 a.m. – 11:45 – TN-ASBDA Chapter Meeting, members only.
|12:00||Lunch||Plan to make a contribution, cost to be determined .|
|12:30 – 1:50||Beginning Band 101: What you need to know to get from Recruiting to the First Concert||John Easley and Susan Waters|
|2:00 – 2:50||Classroom Management from the Podium||Carole Smith Grooms|
|3:00 – 3:50||Band Budgets, IRS, School Financial Procedures and Policies: How to Keep Yourself Out of Jail||Mark Kinzer|
|4:00||Roundtable Discussion – questions from young directors in attendance||Members of the TN ASBDA chapter will answer questions and discuss topics from the young directors in attendance.|
|6:00||Cookout and Social
at Carole Grooms’ home (directions will be available at the symposium.)
|Everyone invited. Burgers and dogs on the grill, typical picnic fixins. (If you have a special dietary need, just let us know.) BYOB – Bring your own (adult) beverage – we will have coolers with ice and cups as well as a non-alcoholic beverage (water, tea or lemonade.)
Please pay in advance so we can plan – $10.00 per person. Indicate “Cookout 2018” and the names of those you are paying for in the box provided for that purpose in the Paypal checkout process.
Previous Young Directors’ Symposiums:
2017 Young Directors’ Symposium topics – Thursday, June 1, 2017
- “An Old Guy’s Guide to Class Preparation”
- “Surviving and Thriving in a Rural School Band Program”
- “Emergency Instrumental Repair Clinic”
2016 Young Directors’ Symposium topics – Thursday, June 2, 2016
- “How to Buy Low Brass Instruments for Your School”
- “On Being and Having an Assistant Director”
- “The TN Revision of the New National Core Arts Standards – What You Need to Know”
2015 Young Directors’ Symposium topics – Thursday, June 4, 2015
- “Fundraising 101”
- “The Do’s and Don’t of Traveling with Students”
- “On-stage concert etiquette – for the director and students”
- “Organization and Multi-tasking – the Big Picture for band directing”
2014 Young Directors’ Symposium topics – Thursday, June 5, 2014
- “Literature – getting past the tunes you know”
- “Band Finances – How NOT to end up on the nightly news!”
- “Getting Along with Your Administrators”